SMITHS FALLS, ONTARIO, MAY 26, 2021 – Parks Canada advises that the Rideau Canal is scheduled to re-open for navigation on Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9 a.m.
As part of Parks Canada’s ongoing effort to combat COVID-19 and in the interests of the health and safety of all Canadians, visitors, and Parks Canada team members, all visitors (boaters and land-based) are required to adhere to the following while visiting our sites:
- Lockage: Boaters are expected to be in full care and control of their vessels and to maintain 2 meters distance from staff and other boaters at all times during lockage. Mask use is mandatory within 2 metres of staff or visitors. Boaters requiring assistance with lockage must identify their concerns to lockstaff prior to entering the chamber. Boaters must at all times follow instructions from lockstaff who are always readily available to ensure a safe and efficient experience for all visitors.
- Mask Mandatory for Service: Mask use is mandatory for visitors in situations where they will be within 2 meters of Parks Canada team members or other visitors, including if they require assistance when locking through. Masks are also required for the use of washrooms at lock stations and during sales transactions.
- Maintain Social Distancing: Visitors must respect the safety of others at all times by maintaining their distance from other visitors and Parks Canada team members. Please respect the roped-off areas on the lock walls that provide a safe working space for our staff.
- No Large Gatherings: Gatherings that are not consistent with provincial COVID-19 restrictions are prohibited on Parks Canada lands along the Rideau Canal.
- Use Cashless Payment: For the purchase of permits, please use cashless payment whenever possible.
Also, note that many new boaters are expected on the waterway this season. Enjoy your experience on the Rideau Canal but please also always be cautious, courteous and safe. Please share the waterway.
For the most up-to-date information regarding our facilities and services, please visit us online at www.pc.gc.ca/rideau or follow us on social media @RideauCanalNHS
Aarin Crawford, Public Relations and Communications Officer
Rideau Canal National Historic Site
Parks Canada Agency